The school was founded in 1914 in Leigh on Sea, Essex by joint principals Miss Esther Axford and Miss Jean Middleton, niece of Lord Catto, Governor of the Bank of England.
It was a girls’ boarding school for pupils aged 5 – 18 until 1939 when the building was requisitioned by the Army because of its vantage point, being situated on cliffs facing the Belgian and Dutch coasts. The parents of many of the pupils were abroad serving in the Armed Forces and were keen for their daughters’ education to continue.
The school moved to 70 Great Northern Road, Dunstable, bringing several pupils from Essex and attracting more from the local area.
By the late l940’s, the two principals were approaching retirement and it seemed that the school might close. However, Mrs. Phyllis Harris who had joined the school in 1942 as a music teacher was asked to keep it going,and after a spell at 56 Downs Road, it moved to its current site at 28 Priory Road in 1954.
The school was also home to the principal , but in 1969, Mrs. Harris and her family moved into the house next door, allowing the school to expand.
St. George’s School has several famous ex-pupils, one being the novelist and playwright Caryl Brahms.
In 1990, when Mrs. Harris retired, the future of the school was again uncertain, but for a second time, a parent of one of the pupils, Mrs. Patricia Plater was able to step in as principal The school has continued to develop, and now incorporates a nursery for babies to 5 year olds.